My Blog

This is my blog. It's old. Interests: live music, simulations and modeling, languages, iPod, social and business networking, systems thinking, history of science, management, BBQ, trivia, good coffee, organizational learning, traveling, personal histories.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

the magic of duct tape

I had a small house project this weekend. For this project, I needed some duct tape. I asked Kxxxxx, "do you know where the duct tape is?". She replied, "what do you need it for?". "I need to do some duct work in the attic" She replied, "Oh, that's the 1st time I've actually heard of someone using duct tape for duct work". The thought never occured to me. I just thought of the work I needed to do, and considered my options, "well, masking tape is too small, and won't last as long, electrical tape is too small and stretches too much. The perfect tape I need is duct tape!" Imagine that!? I used duct tape to do ductwork. Here's a secret: it's GREAT for duct work! I was so proud of myself for finally using duct tape for its intended purpose, I ended up using more I probably needed. But if you consider all the duct tape I've used for taping down cables/wires at gigs, to various bodies and body parts1, using duct tape for duct work seemed incredible satisfying. You can of course find all kinds of uses of /info on duct tape on the web2. I've even bought duct tape accessories as a gift for Kxxxxx. But none have been as satisfying as using it for duct work. Small celebrations in everyday life3. 1. Don't ask. 2. Not as good as the twinkies project. 3. I should trademark this; this could catch on.
|| hcpark, 11:26 PM

5 Comments:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:04 AM  
I don’t relate to this at all. When I’m working on a project around the house, I never get asked what I’m doing. Maintenance “supervision” is a little more meticulous at Casa Jonsson. ;-)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 AM  
I just read about the twinkie project for the first time yesterday and was endlessly amused.(courtesy of Nils) How fun to see you mention it.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 PM  

Add a comment

Counter
Site Counter