My Blog

This is my blog. It's old. Interests: live music, simulations and modeling, languages, iPod, social and business networking, systems thinking, history of science, management, BBQ, trivia, good coffee, organizational learning, traveling, personal histories.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Lost in Translation

I was recently in Koreatown, near I-10 and Gessner. I stopped by a grocery store to pick up some essentials. I had noticed this sign before, but thought it was worthwhile to point out something.

The English under the Korean letters has "American and Oriental Food". That's very nice and inviting. This used to be an old Kroger's, so perhaps this is a nice one-stop shop for a wide range of groceries.

Too bad that the Korean says "Korean Groceries". It's like a little joke for the ones able to read Korean. This worries me as I have to rely on many English translations when I travel. So when I see a sign translated as "safe for 120V appliances" or "this water is potable", I should be careful.
|| hcpark, 4:21 PM

1 Comments:

I love stuff like this.

I’m easily amused, but two of my favorite signs in Houston are for a joint far out on West Bellfort called “Nigth Club” and a salon in midtown labeled “Facial Hair Makeup Bridal.”
Blogger Nils Jonsson, at 9:37 AM  

Add a comment

Counter
Site Counter